15 September 2009

Disaster strikes

Yesterday evening I was busy pottering around upstairs. Grant was harvesting potatoes. Daniel was at the kids' computer in the studio and Noah was also downstairs.

Suddenly we heard the most horrifying almighty CRASH and both kids were screaming hysterically. Luckily I heard Noah coming up the stairs shouting and screaming and crying for me so I knew he was okay and not trapped under something, and I could also hear Daniel shouting downstairs (he was okay too).

I have never run down the stairs so fast in my life. I reached the studio at the same time as Grant and we were greeted by the sight of the entire row of wall cabinets from above the computer desk, lying on the ground where they had ended up after falling off the wall and crashing over the desk. (My camera didn't fall there, I rested it on the cabinet after checking it over.)

















I feel so physically sick in my stomach when I think of what might have been ... if one of our precious children had been sitting at the computer on that side of the room ... if Grant or I had been on the computer ... it doesn't even bear thinking about. I am so beyond grateful that none of us was hurt, not even a scratch.

It seems that the 115 year old walls were just too soft and crumbly to bear the weight. When I brought a bunch of very heavy photo albums down from upstairs and stored them in the cabinets this weekend the extra weight just proved to be too much. The screws ripped out of the wall, bringing chunks of mortar with them.





The mouse was obliterated:



The cheap monitor suffered minor damage:



But my beautiful big £600 Apple display, less than two years old, was destroyed:







But thankfully both of my cameras and lenses, which had been in one of the cabinets, were undamaged. And you know what? As completely gutted as I am about losing my beautiful Apple display, I'd gladly sacrifice it a thousand times over rather than have one of my children or husband hurt. When I think of what could have happened ... it puts it in perspective.

The professionally framed picture above my printer was damaged at the top and bottom:



But the printer only suffered minor damage and works fine:





Look at how the cabinets wrenched apart and broke:





Both chairs were totally crushed like matchsticks. We sit there so often ... can't think about it. I feel like I could throw up:









A candle that was crushed:



So today I've been sorting through everything, trying to shuffle things around the storage in our home and find places for things. Because not a damn am I hanging anything else (besides pictures) on that wall ever again.

I have some plans to make the room look good - so watch out for the big reveal in a week or two.

And while I work, you can bet I'll be uttering fervent prayers of gratitude for God's protection.

P.S. Here's a reminder of how the cabinets looked before they fell:



Pin It

27 comments:

  1. How awful! I'm so sorry that you have that mess and damage to deal with now, but, like you said, what a blessing that no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually quite tearful reading this, you truely were protected indeed. I see the cars of Noahs on the carpet and think "what if he had been playing with them just then?" Oh Jen, I'm so glad you are all ok. The Lord be praised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm so glad no one was hurt. How scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad no one was hurt. My stomach churns looking at that. Those chairs. God bless that you are all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW!! That is tragic - you have a good perspective and a great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really glad that none of you were hurt - the picture of the squashed chairs made me feel sick too.

    Phone your house insurance to see what can be done about things that were damaged - especially the monitor. It may be a couple of hundred pounds excess, but will save in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone. Natasha, our policy has no accidental damage coverage, so it's bye-bye monitor with no replacement :o(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog name was never more apt..

    As you already said, thank goodness no one was hurt. Hope you manage to sort and replace what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, that's a shame - we have always paid for accidental cover, especially with the cat and Spencer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is :o( But we've never been able to afford it ... just one of the sacrifices we've made for me to be able to be a SAHM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jen!! How scary!!!!!! I'm sat with my jaw on the floor looking at your pictures. How blessed you all are to have been protected! I can just imagine how you must have flown down the stairs when you heard your boys. I'm sure you hugged them a little closer last night. As you said, material things can be replaced, but loved ones....... {shudder}.... So glad you are all safe!! Sorry about your monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is so terrible! But you are right, thank God you, Grant or the boys were not hurt. A machine is just that, a machine, and replaceable. Looking forward to see what you'll do with the space!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad that non of your family was injured. The poor boys must have got such a fright. What a dreadful mess to have to contend with. It kinda looks like my 17yo step-son's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so scary! I'm so glad no one was sitting there when the cabinet fell. Looking at all the paper and albums you had in there, I'm guessing they were pretty heavy. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry :(

    You have the absolute BEST attitude about this entire situation!

    I'm just so thankful that no one was hurt, as you have said.

    Wow! Ugh. Sorry about all of that :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank the Lord none of your family were near the desks when it all came down. I actually gasped out loud when I saw the pictures. I guess there's no time like the present to de clutter and renovate, but like I said, thankfully no one was hurt.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, I'm so happy that no one was under the cabinet. That makes my stomach turn a little.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HOly Cow!! How aweful!! Glad everyone lived!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aaack! I'm so glad that nobody was hurt! Like you said, things are replaceable. People? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Jen! OMG. I just can't even believe it. That is so terrifying, and scary, and heartbreaking. I'm so sorry sweetie. I'm so happy none of you were hurt. Thank goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no! I am SO glad no one was hurt! What a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I pretty much ditto everyone's comments above. I do not envy you the clean up it will take to put that room back together. I'd offer to come help...but California is a little far.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i am so very sorry for you that that happened! i am so glad that everyone is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought it was pretty bad until I saw the before shot... Whoa! That is an absolute miracle that no one was hurt. So thankful with you, and also so sad to think of all your hard work and special things being ruined. May your clean up and redo of the room go really well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been so busy lately I haven't been keeping up with your blog and just read this, how scary! You have somebody above watching out for you and your family. I'm so glad no one was hurt. What a mess to clean up though!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jen, I am new to your blog after you have visited mine. I am so sorry this happend and very grateful that protection was around your entire family! I too would just feel gratitude. Thank you for stopping by and asking about the fabric. Here is the company online and the sku #

    https://philtexfabrics.com
    sku#ASM017 Palomino-Tan is what the name is. It is a microfiber that makes it great for kids! Let me know if you get some and what you do with it...would love to see it! Now a follower here!

    Hugs to you,
    ~Victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was just catching up on your blog and oh my gosh! How freaky that must have been. I'm so glad no one was hurt. I love the new updated studio.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...